GOAL: Continue to master the art of retraining your Inner Bully
When you are aware that your Inner Bully is talking to you, stop, take several deep breaths and ask yourself:
- What story am I telling myself about this situation?
- Are the concerns that I’m having now valid for this particular situation, or is it my Inner Bully telling me stories from my past to keep me inside my box?
- What do I truly want to do?
- What can I do right now to be the Boss?
Create a plan of how you want to feel and how you want to be.
- Spend a little time thinking about these details. Look to others for inspiration.
- Then practice being this way in your mind--over and over again, until you feel comfortable, or even excited!
Think about an aspect of your life that is not working out well for you. Think about the thoughts you have about that area and come up with a movie title that sums up your experiences about it.
- Next, think about the movie you want to live instead. Come up with the name of your new movie and create some details about it.
Finally, create some scenes for your new movie. You can create these using a few sentences or write a longer, more detailed set starring you in this positive light. Replay this movie in your mind at least twice a day. Each time you replay this movie in your mind and feel good about being this new way, you are retraining your Inner Bully to know that it is safe for you to do new things.
** Remember to write these down in your journal so you can track your progress.